Apologies for not posting anything for the last 2 weeks. Finals week kept me preoccupied for a while and once they were over I took a few days to hibernate in my room, finishing some shows on Netflix and playing those untouched games in my Steam library. Two of my good friends also graduated so I spent some time celebrating with them as well. Now the summer has started, but school hasn’t ended since I recently registered for a summer class. Huzzah. On the bright side it’s not a tough class and it’ll definitely keep me productive, starting with getting me out of bed before 10 AM.
A few weeks ago I decided to compile a list of “Summer Goals” to accomplish before my final fall semester. In no particular order:
- Get in shape and be healthy: This is something I’ve been neglecting for far too long. This semester was pretty difficult for many reasons, so my health was one of the last things on my mind. However, for a long time I’ve been looking at mirrors and have been feeling unsatisfied with what I see. My health is one of the few things in life that I know I have a lot of control over, so this summer I’d like to improve it as possible.
- Work on projects/Portfolio Dev: I’ve had many artistic projects in the works that I’ve also been ignoring. Some I thought of not too long ago, others that have been spanning for a couple of years now. If art is something I’d like to pursue as a career one day, it’s important that I put all my effort into all of my work.
- Research grad schools/careers: With graduation inching closer and closer, the time to research grad schools and careers starts now. I’ve been interested in applying to an MFA program for a while, though I’m not completely set on which schools to apply to yet. I’m also unsure if I want to attend school directly after graduation or take a gap year to polish my portfolio and explore art careers with actual jobs. As of now I’m leaning more towards to latter.
- Study: I’ll thank myself in the fall if I try to get ahead with classes beforehand, especially with Algebra and Ordinary Differential Equations.
- Enjoy the time I’ve got left with friends: One of my friends who graduated is actually someone I’ve known since my junior year of high school, so he’s pretty much been at my side for my entire college experience. He’s going to grad school all the way in the Midwest so, unfortunately, we won’t be able to hang out like we used to. My other friend is also going to grad school in the Midwest, and leaving relatively early. Not to mention with my senior year sneaking up on me, the days I have left with friends I made freshman year are dwindling. Soon I’ll have start all over again. It’ll be an adjustment, a big adjustment, but until then I’d like to enjoy the time I have with them no matter how limited it may be.
- Be more proactive about my mental health: This is quite a long and complicated story, but to summarize, I’ve been neglecting my mental health for a long time and for the past couple of years it’s been taking its toll on me. It’s becoming increasingly more difficult to be motivated and it’s been affecting many things from school to relationships. This summer I’d like to actually be more active with addressing it, starting with finding a therapist in the city.
I think that’s everything for now. Maybe I’ll add more small stuff later, but these are the big 6 goals I would like to accomplish. Hopefully I can. I guess all I can do now is just work at it a little each day.